Pastor Byron Yawn, a self-described “recovering fundie,” explains 10 effects of the “angry prophet” type who defines himself by what he’s against:
- You’ll forget to talk about what’s good . . . especially about Jesus.
- You’ll begin to take yourself too seriously.
- You’ll begin to preach the same sermon from every passage.
- You’ll foster mean people.
- You’ll eventually assemble an audience of self-congratulatory clones.
- You’ll take all correction personally and as an unpardonable offense against “God’s man.”
- You’ll make a terrible shepherd.
- You’ll become the type of person you warn others about.
- You’ll thrive on controversy.
- People will stop listening.
You can read his explanation of each point here.
HT: Justin Taylor